Garrett Shirts

New Design: T Shirt + Stuffed Animals!!??

I’m so pumped about my new design – it’s giving me the jitters… here’s the long shot of it followed by a detail shot followed by the story of where they came from…

I got the idea from screen printed and stuffed cameras I saw in Flickr, linked to from one of my favorite stuffy inspiration blogs: Plush You! of the Schmancy Exhibit. They were kind of like this… but only on one plane.

At first I thought of screen printing little creatures onto regular fabric and then made the leap to printing them directly onto shirts and wearing them for awhile before cutting and stuffing them.

This is one of the toughest stencils I’ve ever cut… the lines are so small and the curves so tight I went through dozens of xacto blades…

I’m going to continue with the concept of printing stuffed creature templates right onto tshirts – my brain’s filled with new ideas along these lines and I can’t wait!

I’m ordering a mess of shirts soon for printing – if you want one of these shirts let me know! email: gfrench (A-T) gmail.com. Also wondering about names for these creatures. There are seven of them so I’m toying with a days of the week concept.

Yay for clothes that come with instructions for cutting them up and turning them into something else!

Categorised as: News/Announcements, Super Berry Bun Buns

9 Comments

1. adam says:

How about some google checkout buttons so i can purchase one of these works of art!

2. Vanessa Bowers says:

Hi Garret.

I LOVE the new design. How much are your shirts and when will they be up for order?

I hope you’re doing well.

-Vanessa

3. Carr says:

dope design. it glows.

love,

Carr

4. Carr says:

Leah Schilling just took a look at your design and is wondering if you left enough room for “seam allowance” so that when the tee wearer cuts them out they can sew them together.

she says that 5/8″ is probably more than is necessary. That 1/2″ would suffice. Without proper seam allowance you can’t sew them together. It would be too hard.

5. Jana Eggers says:

Great idea! I think you can label this recycle/reuse. As soon as you have soften the shirt up by wearing it, you can turn it into something new… a plush toy. I like how they are laid out on the shirt. Great job!

6. Garrett says:

@Adam: they’re not for sale yet… and you know what, they will never be for sale to you my friend 😉

@Vanessa: I’m not sure about prices yet… I would love to hear your thoughts on what you’d pay. And I need to know your and Andy’s shirt sizes 😀

@Carr: thank you! I’m pumped about the design. I haven’t tried sewing them yet and I’m a bit nervous that I didn’t leave enough room. I will write about my attempts and send you a link. Is Leah a seamstress?

@Jana: Thanks! My goal was to lay them out in such a way that they could make the shirt a pleasure to wear before you cut it up 😀

7. Laura says:

This is so cool! I love your ideas and I can’t wait to see where you take this. A couple of sewing tips… T shirts tend not to be dimensionally stable so I would suggest a minimum of a quarter seam allowance. I have sewn a lot of things out of T shirts and always iron interfacing to the back… it makes them easier to cut and keeps them from pulling apart. Maybe the interfacing could be part of the design???

8. Garrett says:

@Laura: yeppers, I have the notion that I haven’t left myself enough seam space. I would love to see pics of stuff you’ve made from tshirts! Thanks for stopping by with great advice!

G

9. John says:

That’s some hot stuff G. I really, really like it.

-John